Montana conservation district staff visit Menoken Farm rain garden and pollinator project near Bismark, ND.
2023 BSWC Soils Team: Host Site Funding
The Montana Association of Conservation Districts (MACD) and Little Beaver Conservation District (LBCD), with the support of the Department of Natural Resources Conservation – Conservation District Bureau (DNRC CDB), have funding to help local conservation organizations host a Big Sky Watershed Corps (BSWC) Soils Team member for 2023.
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to:
- Provide conservation districts with added capacity to work on soil conservation through projects focused on areas such as education, outreach, monitoring, and demonstration sites.
- Increase the capacity of local communities to achieve long-term conservation goals related to improving soil health.
- Build the next generation of soil conservation leaders in Montana.
- Allow conservation professionals with less financial means the ability to serve with the BSWC AmeriCorps program by offsetting their housing costs.
BSWC Soils Team members will provide conservation districts with added capacity to work on soil conservation through projects focused on areas such as education, outreach, monitoring, and demonstration sites. This added capacity will increase districts’ abilities to conserve soil locally by working with landowners and other partners. Approximately $33,000 is available. Up to $9,000 may be awarded to each qualifying organization for:
- Offsetting the $12,250 cost share payment for hosting a BSWC Soils Team member.
- Assisting your member with housing costs.
Additional funds may also be available to host sites for:
- Purchasing technology for use by the Soils Team members during their term.
- Providing funding for member travel
If you are interested in hosting a BSWC Soils Team member, you need to do 3 things:
- Contact Kay Webb ASAP to let her know you are interested. Kay has time allocated to help CDs develop host site projects and ideas and facilitate co-hosting or sharing a BSWC Soils Team
member. email@example.com (406)778-2965
- Submit a BSWC Host-Site Application to Montana Conservation Corps (MCC) by September 2nd, 2022. You can find more information on the overall BSWC program and the host-site application here.
- Apply for Soils Team funding by September 16th at 5pm. PDF BSWC Soils Team Funding Application
- (Bonus #4!) Attend a BSWC intro call or Soils Team Office hours (see info below).
Please note: You will not need to commit to hosting a member until after you hear back about this funding. However, it is important that you get your BSWC host-site application submitted to MCC by the Sept. 2 deadline.