- They are currently going through a law review gathering information from several listening sessions. The outcome is to try and establish the gaps and weaknesses in current law. The hope is to establish a compendium that can be used as a reference guide.
- The MISC will be hosting a summit on 11/15-16 of November in Helena at the Delta Hotel. The meeting will be done in coordination with a Western Governor’s Assoc workshop on 11/14.
- A new invasive species website is in the making (invasivespecies.mt.gov). The launch date will be sometime the spring of 2019. The site is intended to be a landing page or Invasive Species issues in Montana. The site will have the Upper Columbia Conservation Commission and MISC information available.
- The Montana Water Resources Association meeting in Billings on 10/23 will feature an Idaho irrigation specialist presenting information with respect to invasive species.
- Hounds Tongue is becoming more and more of an issue in Montana, Washington, & Idaho. The MISC is coordinating an effort to obtain answers from experts in Canada and the US regarding biocontrol measures. There seems to be some conversation regarding the legal status of the insect and whether or not it is considered a “pest”. The indication is that no consensus among primary agencies exists regarding the categorization or the impacts. MISC is looking to form a Science Advisory Panel to discuss possible answers to the questions at hand.
- The 2017 Legislative HB 622 required Fish, Wildlife, & Parks to deliver a Missouri River Quarantine/Containment plan to the MISC by 12/31/18. FWP has been taking comment on the plan all along in anticipation of the deadline. Once the plan is complete the MISC will consider the utilization of the plan with regard to the intent of the legislation.
Kate is the Communications and Technology Manager for Soil & Water Conservation Districts of Montana. She manages the website, puts out The Montana Conservationist every other week, and assists conservation districts with technology, websites, and communications.
Hello Conservation Districts and Partners, It's been a busy couple of months, and I finally…