NACD’s 67th Stewardship Week
Healthy Soil: Healthy Life
April 24 – May 1, 2022
What is Stewardship Week?
NACD Stewardship Week is one of the largest national programs to promote natural resource conservation. Celebrated annually since 1955 between the last Sunday in April and the first Sunday in May, NACD Stewardship Week reminds us of our individual responsibilities to care for natural resources.
As part of Stewardship Week, the MACD Education committee is running a state-level call for poster submissions. This competition is part of NACD’s National Poster Contest. The deadline for the Montana competition is Fall 2022. The top posters in Montana will be entered into NACD’s national poster competition alongside posters from conservation districts across the country. Winners will be announced during NACD’s Annual Meeting in February 2023. Visit MACD’s poster contest page to learn more.
Stewardship Week Resources
|Stewardship Week Toolkit||This toolkit will help you plan an exciting week of activities for K-8 youth in your community.|
|COMING SOON: Poster Contest Call-for-Submissions Template||Template your district can customize to put out a call for poster submissions.|
|Stewardship Press-Release Template||Word Doc template to help your district write a press release announcing stewardship week.|
|Social Media Posts||.zip folder of pre-made social media posts.|
|Educators Guide||Student booklets for print|
|Placemat / Activity Sheet||Community outreach product for schools, local restaurants, senior centers, annual meetings and more. It serves as a placemat or as an activity sheet.|
|Poster||Poster that showcases what we get from healthy soil!|
|Liturgical Materials||For use in local places of worship.|
How can you celebrate Stewardship Week?
To support a memorable celebration of this year’s Stewardship Week, below are some examples of methods to engage your community in Stewardship Week:
- Deliver PowerPoint presentations to school students and encourage participation in NACD’s annual poster contest.
- Organize a natural resource festival for elementary school students.
- Produce public service announcements for Stewardship Week and play them on local radio stations. See our template here.
- Team up with a local grocery store to provide paper grocery bags for middle school students to design posters.
- Conduct workshops for gardeners, homeowners, schools, farmers and landowners interested in improving soil health.
- Set up a Conservation Station (a mobile learning center) that you can travel with across the state and teach local communities how they can improve water quality and soil health.
- Host a soil health “Lunch and Learn” and a conservation tour for local officials from the Department of Agriculture or Natural Resources.